The Monthly Snapshot report colorfully displays your - and your competitors' - search engine rank changes on a monthly basis and includes the top ranking landing page for the last selected month. A Change column calculates the difference between the rank for the first month and last month chosen to display in the report, providing an overall rank change metric.
Located in Reports > Rank > Rank Progress
Rank Snapshot Single Domain
Monthly Snapshot in Single Domain View.
Monthly Rank by search engine for the selected keywords, keyword tags and date range.
Monthly Snapshot in Single Domain View with Rank Color Scale.
A bold Rank Color Scale can be enabled in Report Options > Display Settings.
Competitive View Rank Snapshot
Monthly Snapshot in Competitive View
By selecting the Competitive View option at the top of the report, you can view the Monthly Rank for the selected keywords, keyword tags for the selected date range highlighting the primary domain rank vs. competitors' rank for each keyword and search engine tracked.
Enable Rank Change
In the Display > Rank section of Report Options, if you enable:
- Baseline, then the baseline column displays in the report.
- Overall Change, then the difference between the baseline rank and the latest month displayed in the report is calculated and displayed in this column.
The regular Change
column is the difference between the first and last month's rank displayed in the report.
Brand Impact Competitive View
Reputation Management Monthly Rank Snapshot
By selecting the Brand Impact option in the Display > General settings section of Report Options, and Competitive View, you create a report that highlights the URLs that have positive and negative impact on the brand per keyword.
Brand Impact URLs can be set up in the Campaign Settings > Websites screen. Please refer to Reputation Management Campaign Setup
for more information.
Please refer to Navigating Rank Ranger
for additional information regarding report views, data export, adding this report to an existing White Label PDF report and more.
Conveniently add a report or graph with its current settings to a PDF report by hovering over the gold gear icon and selecting Add to PDF Reports
Select the PDF Report that you want the report or graph added to
Drag the new report or graph into the position you want it to display in the PDF and confirm that the Date settings do not conflict with the automated scheduling settings.
PDF Report Settings - Monthly Snapshot
Reports and graphs can be added to automated PDF reports via the report screen (as described above) or manually in the PDF Report Content screen. If the report is added via the:
- report screen, then begin by clicking the Edit button corresponding to the report
- PDF Report Content screen, then click the Add Report button and select the Campaign name and Report: Monthly Snapshot
Expand the Date Options section and in the Show Report data of the last field type in the number of periods to be displayed in the report.
In the next field select one of the following options:
In the ending on the field select one of the following options:
In the of field select one of the following options:
- first day
- last day
- or a specific day of the month
- or a specific day of the week (when weekly reports are selected)
In the next field select one of the following options:
In the Snapshot Day field select one of the following options:
Display the # of Days by moving the slider to the right.
- A date of the month
The selection must produce a logical date setting based on the PDF report's automated scheduling (at the bottom of the Report Details screen). For example:
If the report is scheduled to be sent every Monday, then the following example would be invalid:
- last day of last month
- 1st of this month
- last day of last week
If the report is scheduled to be sent on the 1st day of every month, the following example would be invalid:
- Saturday of this week (because weeks begin on Sunday and if reports are sent on Monday, then Saturday of this week hasn't yet occurred).
- last day of this month (because it's only the 1st day of the month the report is being sent)
Custom Report Title (optional): displays across the top of the report section
- Display Brand Impact by moving the slider to the right and putting a check in the box(es) next to the impact you want to include. Brand Impact is set in the Campaign Settings > Websites screen.
- Display a Keyword Tags by moving the slider to the right. Displays a column containing tags per keyword. To display only specific tags, use the Keyword Tag filter.
- Display the Landing Page column by moving the slider to the right. Displays the URL of the page that ranked highest for the keyword on the last day of the report period.
- Display Rank Color Scale by moving the slider to the right. Displays rank cells with a heat map based on positions.
- Display Baseline by moving the slider to the right. Displays a column with the rank on the 1st day the keyword was added to the campaign, or if the keyword did not rank within the maximum supported results tracked by each search engine, then Baseline displays the first rank recorded by Rank Ranger for the Keyword when it did rank.
- Display a Overall Change by moving the slider to the right. Displays a column with the difference between the baseline rank and the latest month displayed in the report.
- Display Average Monthly Volume by moving the slider to the right. Based on Keyword Planner when the keyword was added to the campaign. (learn more about Keyword Search Volume.
Sort Field: select the field you want the report to be sorted by.
Sort Direction: select the sort direction ascending or descending.
Group By option: allows you to group by Domain (for viewing 1 table per keyword including competitor domains) and Keywords (for viewing 1 table with all keywords for 1 domain).
Select Keywords you want displayed in the report.
- Select Keyword Tag(s) to filter the report results by: use the All or None link for quick selection, or individually check the boxes beside the keyword tags to be included in the report.
- Select a Tag Filter Contains at least one (OR) - this option will include any of the selected keyword tags
Require all selected (AND) - this option requires all of the selected keyword tags in order for the keyword data to display in the report
Highlight the Primary URL (campaign domain) by moving the slider to the right.
Select the Website(s) that you want displayed in the report.
Select the Search Engine(s) to display in the report.
If multiple Search Engines are selected, you have the option to change the display order by clicking the arrow next to the Search Engine and dragging it into the desired order.
Add to Marketing Dashboard
Conveniently add a report or graph with its current settings to a marketing dashboard:
1. Hover over the gold gear icon and select Add to Marketing Dashboard
2. Select the Dashboard
3. Select the Dashboard Page
that you want the report added to
4. Click the "Go to Dashboard
" link to further customize the report (e.g., drag it to a specific position on the page, change date settings, etc.)
Refer to the Report Options
section for details regarding the display settings, filters and sort options available for this report.
The report date (or date range) is governed by the selected Dashboard date option: Date Selection or Fixed Periods, learn more...
- Daily reports default to the last day of the selected period
- Weekly and monthly reports default to 1 month of data
To change the number of weeks or months displayed in a specific report, click the gear icon for any marketing dashboard report element and expand the Date option section, enter the number and click the Save Button.
Customize Report for Client Dashboard
Client Dashboards display our default report options for each individual report and graph until you modify them. To customize the display of the report, expand the Report Options section, change the settings and click the Apply Changes button.
Then expand Report Options again and hover over the Save icon and select Save as Default for Client Dashboard
After saving the Client Dashboard default, any changes that you make to the report options will not affect the display in the Client Dashboard unless you overwrite it by following these instructions again.
Enable the Report or Graph to display in the Client Dashboard
Open the Campaign Settings > Client Dashboard
screen and check the box corresponding to the report(s) you want displayed in the dashboard, and then click the Save
The meaning of 100+, N/A, N/R, "-" and
The three moving dots
are an indicator that rank tracking is in progress for the keywords and you should check the report later in the day for results. We do the best we can to complete the rank tracking as early as possible every day, however, there are some factors that are beyond our control (e.g., search engine response rate).
Rank Tracker Dashboard displaying tracking in progress for the keywords "smart home technology" and "home security".
is our system default for when our rank tracker did not find the keyword ranking for the primary domain within the maximum supported results tracked by each search engine (refer to our current list of supported search engines
and rank depth for additional information), and the search engine did
return webpages on other domains with results for the keyword.
Rank Tracker Dashboard displaying 100+ as the rank result for several keywords. Options exist in the Account Settings > Theme & Localization screen to set no rank within tracked results as "100+", "N/A", "NR", or "-"
means that the search engine did not
return any result for the keyword, which most likely means that the keyword is not indexed by the search engine at all (e.g., the keyword "lawn mower Nome, Alaska").
N/A is also an account-wide option that can be selected in the Theme & Localization settings
to represent no rank value (e.g., instead of 100+), other options include "NR", "-", or "100+". Please check your account settings before requesting assistance for a keyword that you are certain is indexed.
If you're using one of our rank reporting APIs
, they return a dash "-" in the rank field when no value is available.
If your account is relatively new, and depending on several variables (number of keywords, number of search engines, date range, etc.), rank reports can take anywhere from a few minutes to a 8 hours until your first reports will display all of the data. In the case of a campaign that is a day or more old, incorrect campaign configuration can lead to empty reports as well. Clicking the Default Report Settings
button usually resolves the issue.
Common causes for 'no data found' message:
- Account is new and our rank tracker is gathering data
- Invalid date range (e.g., the report start date is older than the campaign creation date)
- Keyword / URL combination on report options was not found
- within the maximum supported results tracked by each search engine (refer to our current list of supported search engines and rank depth for additional information). Note that this is relevant only for rank reports and graphs.
- Incomplete campaign setup (missing URL / Keywords / Search Engines / Authorized Connections)
- Website is new and hasn't been indexed by search engines yet
- Authorized connection to a third party data provider has expired or been configured incorrectly (refer to the third party integration, or specific report documentation)
- Delays or outage of third party data provider (e.g., Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc.)
If keywords are missing completely from a rank report, there are 2 possibilities:
- New keywords may have been added to the campaign, but not selected. Learn more...
- The search engine did not return any result for the keyword on any domain. In some rank reports, Rank Ranger will not display keywords for which the search engine displays no results - meaning no results for any URL on the web. So if Google.com has results, but Google Mobile does not, you will see results for the keyword in the Google.com table, but the keyword will not display at all in the Google Mobile table. That is the way the system is designed because it needs a response from the search engine in order to record a number and when there is no response, then there is no number.
If you need assistance after reviewing and trying the options listed above, please contact our technical support team
There is a maximum limit of 1000 keywords per campaign
in order to ensure efficient report generation and convenient viewing. Adding more than 1000 keywords to a campaign will cause some functionality to be disabled.
If you need to track more than 1000 keywords for a site, then best practice is to create additional campaigns (e.g., separate them by keyword category, location, tags, etc.). If you have an Enterprise package, you can view rank performance data for multiple campaigns in the Portfolio Report
and by using cross-campaign metrics in the Insight Graph
and Single Metric Widgets